Below you can find a list of the most frequently asked questions. In case you question is not answered here, you may ask your question in our live Q&A document and the Fellowship team will get back to you shortly.
What type of Fellowship roles are there?
We are offering three generic types of Fellowship roles, all of which involve one-year full-time engagements in the field. Note, that the availability of these fellowship types varies from year to year based on the demand.
- Impact Fellowship: Fellows work with our for-profit or non-profit portfolio organizations and companies from LGT Venture Philanthropy and Lightstone with significant social or environmental impact and ambitious targets to grow
- Investment Associate Fellowship: Fellows work with Lightstone’s regional investment teams to support their ongoing portfolio management activities
- Venture Philanthropy (VP) Associate Fellowship: Fellows work with LGT VP's regional teams to support our broad range of VP engagements and activities
When can I apply for the Fellowship?We have yearly intakes into the Fellowship Program starting in summer each year.
Application period for each intake is throughout March. The next intake will take place in summer 2021 for which interested candidates can apply throughout March 2021 through the online portal.
Where can I do my Fellowship?Portfolio organizations and companies of LGT Venture Philanthropy and Lightstone are located in Latin America, Africa, India and Europe. The portfolio organizations and companies hosting Fellows vary each year.
Placements across our Fellowship locations are subject to an approved working permit for the specific country. It is the candidate’s obligation with assistance from the host organization and companies to obtain the necessary permissions.
Whom will I be employed by?Fellows are employed by their host organizations and companies based on a working or consulting contract that is in line with local HR and employment policies. To formalize their role as LGT Impact Fellows, nominated candidates are also asked to sign a Fellowship Agreement with LGT Venture Philanthropy Foundation
Will I be compensated?Fellows' compensation allows for basic cost coverage of local living costs such as housing, food, regular transport & communication, and petty cash. These expenses vary by location. If the host organization or company can provide e.g. housing to Fellows, then the paid out monthly compensation is being reduced accordingly. Business expenses have to be agreed upon separately with the host organization or company and claimed according to their policies.
What are the prerequisites for applying?
- Undergraduate degree (MBA or other advanced degree in a relevant field preferred)
- Minimum of two years of full-time work experience after university (internships during studies excluded)
- Proficiency in English, both written and spoken (additional languages from relevant regions helpful)
What are the required skills and qualities?Successful candidates bring the following skills and qualities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as strong research and analytical skills
- Self-starter, willing to work idependently with limited supervision and take responsibility for own actions
- Strong commitment to make a difference and preparedness to make financial and personal sacrifices
- Good understanding of challenges and trends in low to middle income country development
- Willingness to live and work abroad and engage with other cultures with a positive attitude and sensitivity
- Flexibility, open-mindedness and the ability to deal with ambiguity, unforeseeable events and a changing environment
What functional expertise is commonly sought?Understanding the specific talent needs of the organizations and companies we serve is key for the success of our Fellowship Program. Organizations and companies commonly seek professionals with expertise in the following functional areas:
- Finance and Accounting
- Investment Management
- Business Consulting
- Marketing and Communications
- Operations Management
- Project Management
- Data Analytics
- IT and Data Management
- Research and M&E
- Human Resources
- Product Development
- Sales and Customer Acquisition
- Process and Quality Management
Who has participated in the program?Meet our Fellows here
Where can I learn about Fellows’ experiences?Read Fellows’ articles on our Blog.
Where do Alumni Fellows work today?Read the interview with Alumni Andrea on our Blog.
Watch the panel discussion with Alumni on our Blog.